Thai dessert Kanom mau Gang recipe (Baked mung bean pudding)
- 60g(1/4cup) dried yellow mung beans, soaked overnight in water
, then drained
- 500 ml (2 cups) water
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 tablespoons sliced shallots
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups thick coconut milk
- 2/3 cup shaved palm sugar or dark brown sugar
- a teaspoon pandanus or vanilla essence
- 1 baking tray
- In a saucepan, boil the mung beans in the water until soft, 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove and drain. Set aside to cool.
- Heat the oil in a work or skillet, stir-fry the shallots over medium
heat until fragrant and golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and drain on paper
towels. Reserve the oil for glazing.
- Grind the cooked mung beans to a smooth paste in a blender. Add the eggs, coconut
mile, sugar and pandanus or vanilla essence, and blend until well combined.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C
- Grease a baking tray with the reserved shallot oil. Pour the mung bean mixture into the tray and bake in the oven for
15 to 20 minutes until the pudding is firm. Remove and return to bake for another 5 to 7 minutes
. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Slice the pudding and serve with coconut or vanilla ice cream.
From: Thai cakes and desserts cookbooks